21 August update – All protests are still going ahead after the government announced a feeble one-month extension to the eviction ban.
Join SHAC and an alliance of campaign groups to protest against the re-opening of courts for evictions.
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm
- Sunday, 23rd and Monday 24th August 2020
- Central London County Court, Thomas More Building, Strand, Holborn, London WC2A 2LL
SHAC’s action is part of a three day programme all of which will observe social distancing:
- Saturday 22nd August ACORN Tenants and Community Union will be organising protests in 10-15 different cities outside London.
- Sunday 23rd August SHAC and Radical Housing Network – Outside Royal Courts of Justice Thomas More Building, The Strand, London WC2A 2LL. 12.30 noon to 1.30pm.
- Monday 24th August SHAC and Radical Housing Network – Outside Royal Courts of Justice Thomas More Building, The Strand, London WC2A 2LL. 9.30am to 10.30am.
- Monday 24th August London Renters Union (LRU) will be organising decentralised events by going to local courts as opposed to a mass event. So exact local courts to be announced.
- From Home – recognising that many people will still be concerned about travelling, or unable to leave their homes, please support us with window posters and window banners, or by adding to our photo-petition.
Share all photos of events or your window dressing via #NoEvictions on social media.
The activities are also being supported by Homes for All.
Why SHAC is protesting the reopening of courts to eviction procedures
There is no excuse for HAs to initiate evictions on the basis of inability to pay. The sector is in excellent financial health. Operating margins were at 25% on social housing lettings alone, and operating surpluses stood at around £4.7 billion. Across the sector, rent collection rates were 99.9%.
For financially wealthy housing associations, SHAC demands rent & service charge waivers rents for those struggling financiall due to C19.
If resources become tight, recognising the position of coops and smaller associations, we called on government to underwrite housing the association’s debt, as they did for the banks.
13 August 2020
1 thought on “Maintain the Eviction Moratorium – SHAC, ACORN, RHN and LRU demand”